Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mike O'Leary


Michael O'Leary, Cordova City Council member, Cordova Parks and Recreation Board member, community activist, Area E and Bristol Bay fisher, died in an avalanche in Cordova Saturday.

He was skiing with friends, checking on conditions he had warned the community about the day before. I guess that, after a small avalanche, he went back looking for a dog, and was trapped by a larger one.

As my wife Judy said, when I told her this afternoon, Mike was one of the friendliest, most clear-headed people we knew, when we lived in Cordova long ago. Our hearts are out to Mike's family.

2 comments:

BrittneyatWSU said...

As Mike's niece, it means a lot to know how highly they thought of him. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I knew Mike from past years spent in Cordova fishing and I worked with Michelle years ago... My wife and I were both shocked and saddened to hear of Mike's death and want to send our sencerest condolences to Michelle and the rest of Mike's family and friends to whom he was such a big part of their lives...
Pat & Sally Tilton, Anchorage/Chugiak